Prolong Your Cat's Life
Ashburn Village Animal Hospital provides a full range of preventive care services to help your cat live a longer, happier life and to increase the odds of detecting problems early, before they become severe and costly.
Our veterinarians make their annual preventive care recommendations based on the guidelines established by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) and the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), as well as the Center for Disease Control (CDC). We then customize our recommendations based on your cat's hereditary factors, age, medical history and lifestyle.
Annual preventive care for cats typically includes:
- An annual Physical Examination is recommended for young pets (up to 6 years old) and an exam every 6 months is recommended for senior pets (7 years and older). During the exam, our veterinarians will take a complete medical history, make nutrition recommendations, assess behavior, and review any known medical conditions.
Your pet's annual exam includes a:
- Weight, Temperature, Heart Rate, Respiratory Rate Assessment
- Ear and Eye Examination
- Cardiopulmonary (Heart and Lung) Analysis
- Abdominal Palpation
- Dental Exam
- Dermatological Exam
- Musculoskeletal Evaluation
- Vaccination recommendations include annual core vaccines, Rabies and Feline Distemper. Your veterinarian may also suggest the Feline Leukemia vaccine for outdoor cats.
- Parasite Control Products to prevent and repel heartworms, intestinal parasites, fleas and ticks. Round worms can be transmitted to humans, so controlling these parasites protects your cat and also your family. For heartworm prevention, we use monthly, topical Revolution. For outdoor cats, we use a monthly topical dewormer, Profender.
- Diagnostic Testing to check for Feline Leukemia and/or Feline AIDS (FeLV/FIV), heartworms or other internal parasites and early stages of diseases which cannot be detected during a physical exam.
Your veterinarian will also discuss other services, such as dental care, spaying or neutering, and microchipping, that can lead to a longer and healthier life for your cat. We also provide domestic and international health certificates.